- 2/3 cup butter – softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cream together butter and sugar until light.
- Add vanilla and egg and stir until well combined.
- Stir in flour, baking powder and salt until a soft dough forms.
- Shape dough into a flat disc and wrap in waxed paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour before rolling.
- Dust rolling surface with an equal mixture of all-purpose flour and powdered sugar. Roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness and cut into desired shapes.
- Place cut cookies onto a baking sheet prepared with cooking spray or covered with parchment paper.
- Decorate with colored sugar or other decorations as desired.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until very lightly golden.
- Cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes before removing to racks to cool completely.
Holiday Sugar Cookies